I discovered my favorite thing about Makayla being in kindergarten: hearing her read. I absolutely love it. I love how excited she gets when she reads a whole sentence by herself. I love to hear her sound out the words, one letter at a time before she molds them together into one complete word. I love when she stops dead in her tracks walking through the grocery store and yells, "Mom! I see the word 'the'!"
It's fascinating to see this new world that has opened itself to her.
At the beginning of the school year, I had to read to her 15 minutes a day. Now that she can read, and is starting to do so quite well, I have her read to me for 15 minutes every day. It's quite possibly the most entertaining 15 minutes of my day. Not necessarily because of what she is reading (really? some of these books actually got published?) but because of the reactions that she has to what she is reading.
These are my favorite one-liners from tonight's reading of "The Red Car."
--"I don't want to read this book. It's Bo-rinnnng*!"
--"Uh, Mom? We have a problem. I can't really put these sounds together."
--The words on the page read, "But the red car did not start." Makayla read "but" and stopped short. She looked at me and said, "This says "but" and it doesn't mean your bum** so it's not a bad word."
--"Uh, Mom? We have another problem. These sounds DO NOT make a real word."
--"Mom? Why are you shaking?" And when she discovers I am shaking because I am laughing so hard, she scoffs disgustedly, "This is not a funny part."
----------------------------------
My second favorite thing about Makayla being in kindergarten is getting 50 notes from her every day. They pretty much all say the same thing: some variation of "I love you, mom." It's so sweet, and I love her crooked, phonetically spelled words.
The best note from today read, "MoM I Mis Yu"
----------------------------------
*I don't think she really knows what boring means because she also called our van boring. And our spaghetti dinner boring. And the boy at school who is mean to her boring. See a pattern here?
**We don't say "butt" at my house. We say "bum." Saying "butt" could very well land a little person in time-out sitting on the offending word.
3 comments:
Too fun!!! Next you will have Ellie reading to you because she has seen Makayla do it and has learned the words and sounds from her.
Oh little girl Makayla has become big girl Makayla. How exciting for her! I agree about how it's possible for some kids books to be published. In some books it seems that there is no moral to it, its just pages and words. Odd I think.
This is so sweet! "To see a whole new world open up to her." So exciting.
Post a Comment