Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Way to My Girl's Heart

The remote and Dora the Explorer.

Kimberly loves, loves, loves to watch Dora. She sings the song. She does the little dance. She yells "map" and "backpack" at the appropriate times. When she doesn't get what she's reaching for, she sighs "oh man!" just like Swiper. It's actually really cute.

However, things have gotten a little out of control. I have several episodes of Dora recorded on my DVR and when Kimberly wants to watch Dora, she starts singing the Dora song and then runs for the drawer with all the remotes. I'm somewhat amazed that out of the 5 or 6 remotes in the drawer, she always knows exactly which remote turns on the tv and which one starts Dora.

This morning after breakfast she wanted to watch Dora. Of course. I decided to try my luck at getting a couple snuggles in exchange for an episode of Dora. I asked Kimberly for a hug. "Uh uh!"

"Do you want to watch Dora?" (nods her head) "Then I need a hug first." She gave me a half-hearted hug while reaching for the remote. And that's when my mama smarts kicked in. I turned around so my back was to the remote. "Can I have another hug?" She leaned in for what was sure to be another short hug when she saw the remote behind me. I got the best. hug. ever. So what if she was only trying to reach the remote to turn on Dora. A hug is a hug is a hug. And I'll take them anyway I can!

3 comments:

Neals said...

haha this post made me laugh so hard! haha good thinking laura!

Unknown said...

CUTE! When Parker is hungry he sings the Apples and Bananas song because every time I ask him if he is hungry I offer him a banana :)

Amy Nielson said...

nice... bribery works every time, right?? i will keep this in mind. will come in handy some day :)