Thursday, September 18, 2008

Life Lesson 201: Regret

Regret: it's a topic that has been on my mind a lot lately.

Regret is an effective, but unforgiving teacher. It's effective for teaching us things that will help us make better decisions in the future, but it's unforgiving in that we can't always remedy that which we regret.

Kasey and I are finally to a point in our lives that we are ready to buy a house. It's something we've wanted our whole marriage but has not been possible up to this point for various reasons. I've been excitedly driving around neighborhoods where we'd like to live, looking for possible homes. I've looked at all sorts of websites which instruct new home owners on all the ins and outs of buying a first home. I've made lists of things we need and things we want in a home. I've used a variety of mortgage calculators to find out just how much our dream home would cost vs. a home for which we would simply settle. At times, I am encouraged at the prospects. At other times, I am filled with such regret and despair.

You see, last year we were faced with an important decision. I knew it was important, but I was impatient. My impatience led to a rash decision. I didn't think too much of it at the time. It really wasn't a huge deal then. But that decision is now preventing us from buying a house. Not a day goes by that I don't wish I could go back and decide differently.

This has been an important lesson for me. In the future, I don't think I will be as likely to make big decisions hastily like I have in the past. In that respect, I'm glad that I'm learning this lesson. I just wish the lesson didn't have to be accompanied by so much regret at lost opportunities.

No comments: