Friday, September 17, 2010

Pregnancy Woes--Probably a Little TMI

I had such high hopes for this pregnancy. I started out feeling so good. Tired, of course, but good. My morning sickness was nowhere near as bad as it was with my previous 3 children, and it ended a good 3 weeks sooner than it did with previous pregnancies.

Early contractions have been a problem in the past. And the bad thing is that they start 4 weeks earlier with each baby (Makayla-32 wks, Ellie-28 wks, Kimberly 24 wks). When we decided to move, I knew I would have to be extra careful. And I was (unless you ask my mom who thinks I did WAY too much), but the contractions came anyway. At 18 weeks. After seeing my doctor and being told not to lift more than 20 pounds, with the exception of Kimberly who weighs 23 pounds, I was a lot better. I have been better. And honestly, after we got moved in I was feeling so much better.

But then a few days ago, all that changed. I started getting some pretty bad cramps. Not so much contractions as "if I was on my period I would be downing a Pepsi and some Midol while snuggling up with a heating pad" kind of cramps. And they come from doing the simplest things--walking up the stairs, being on my feet for 30 minutes, squatting down to put shoes on somebody. Little things that you wouldn't think anything of. And if little things cause this kind of cramping, imagine what it does for me to lift Kimberly into her car seat, go grocery shopping (even with a friend who is pushing the cart and unloading the food at my house), insert any number of things here.

And then there are the headaches. Does anyone else get headaches when pregnant? I've heard it happens but never experienced it. My headaches get so bad that I literally cannot see. I open my eyes and all I see are black spots. I am completely useless to do anything but lay in the dark with a cold rag on my face. Medication does not help. I am simply at the mercy of the pain until it goes away on its own. Sometimes hours later. And one time, 2 days later.

I do not want to have a preemie baby. I want her to be full term and plump and healthy. But at the same time, I am soooo ready not to be pregnant anymore. Because I know it only gets harder from here.

Ugh! I am so bad at being pregnant!

10 comments:

Tam Tam said...

Oh hang in there Laura! I'm sorry you're feeling so worn. And stay in there lil baby! Hugs!

Jill said...

Ok, this post does NOT give your mother comfort!!!! And IMHO, carrying 19 gallons of water storage up a flight of stairs is NOT being careful. Do you need to come live with me for the next 4 months?!?

Candace said...

We'll keep you in our Prayers. CALL if you need anything!

Amy Nielson said...

oh laura i'm so sorry you're having such a hard time. this sounds awful. i know it feels so far away but just know that this too will pass & before you know it that little precious girl will be here & all this will just be a distant memory. we're thinkin of ya!

Mad Hadder said...

Congrats on the new baby!! You make beautiful baby girls. Keep going! Sorry to hear about your woes. Hang in there. Set your production expectations for yourself way way low. Read some good books. Make some food ahead to pull out on the bad days! Did the banner find you?

Paige said...

I am so sorry you aren't feeling well. I get a lot of migraine headaches when I am pregnant. Keep out the light and as much sound as you can. Sleep helps if you can. You can take some pills for them if they are bad enough. Wish I were closer to help.

Rebecca said...

I get the super bad headaches as well. Nothing really helped except sleep like Paige said. Good luck and I wish I was closer to help out with stuff. Keep that baby in there the early thing is no fun at all!!! I know life stinks now but it doesn't even touch having a baby in the NICU! Rant over! Take care of yourself!

Unknown said...

"This too shall pass" ticked me off when I was pregnant *HUMPH* HOWEVER I just kept thinking that we are never given more than we can handle, and if I can believe that with 4 kiddos running around and feeling the pain, you can too!
I am SO sorry I am not there to help, or even better to take some of the pain away! Your pain hurts my heart!
Hang in there! You are getting closer every day!

Unknown said...

I'm sorry to hear about your pregnancy, too. All I know what to say is trust in the Lord. Hang in there! :)

Veronica said...

This pregnancy for me has been so different and hard. So many of the same things as u
Never had so many headaches cramping. I just borrowed a pregnancy belt in hopes it will help with the pressure/cramps. Ummheadaches honestly a short nap and tylenol with a dr. Pepper has been my cure. Anyways good luck hang in there. I love being prego close to the same time frame