Thursday, October 23, 2008

Book Review: The Audacity of Hope

I usually hesitate to write anything remotely political because it always creates such a stir. And frankly, I don't always know how to defend my thoughts or feelings. So, don't think of this as a political post. Think of this as a mere book review.

*********************************

I just finished listening to this book today. I've wanted to read it and thought it would be good to do before the election. My thoughts are somewhat scattered so I think the best way to approach this is with bullet points.

--He is an educated man and a politician; therefore, he speaks using an elevated vocabulary. Admittedly, I had to look up a few words so I knew what he was talking about.

--I love his thoughts on empathy. Our country, and indeed the world, would not be so divided if we had true empathy for our neighbors.

--He is somewhat of an idealist: a lot of the ideas he has can quite honestly never happen in the society in which we live today. As sad as that may be, it's the truth. However, since I am also an idealist, I agree with a good deal of his ideas for how to improve our country.

--I've had people tell me that reading this book will make me change my mind about Obama. I think that if you don't like Barack Obama and you read this book, you will dislike him more. If you do like Barack Obama and you read this book, you will like him even more.

--I like that he openly admits to certain things. 1. He says in the beginning of the book that his views are somewhat one-sided because he is a Democrat. I like that he acknowledges the fact that a lot of people will disagree with him just because he is a Democrat. He doesn't pretend to be something that he is not. 2. Near the end of the book he talks about the toll that being a US Senator has taken on his family life. But he also acknowledges that he has it easier than a lot of families because he can afford to hire a babysitter and a housekeeper and have a number of other things that people in similar situations cannot.

There were other things that I was going to write, but it's getting late. And my brain is turning to mush. If I think of them later, I will certainly add those thoughts to this post.

1 comment:

charlieymichelle said...

It is hard to post things about the political race. I like him as a man, and I think that he is very smart. But I am scared for him if he gets office. I don't want to leave why as a comment. Email me later.