Whew! This has been one terrible cold. I'm finally, after nearly 3 weeks, starting to feel normal again.
Last week, I helped out a friend by watching her daughter. It worked out well because this little girl goes to Makayla's preschool class.
I picked up Makayla and Valerie after preschool and brought them back to my house. The girls had lunch, watched part of a movie, played dress up and tea party, and then I took Valerie home.
It doesn't sound like it was a difficult 90 minutes, but boy howdy! This little Valerie is the most inquisitive 4-year-old I think I've ever met. She put the 2-year-old "Why" questions to shame.
She asked me questions like, Why do your plates have apples on them?
What are germs?
How come Ellie is a girl?
Why do so many people live in your house?
Why do you keep your washing machine outside?
Why does Makayla want to watch this movie?
How come you don't have any boys at your house?
Why does Makayla's daddy work?
Why don't you go to work?
I was so exhausted by question after question. I suggested that she go play with Makayla. So, she did.
But 5 minutes later, she was at my side asking me why I was doing what I was doing.
I was really glad when 1 o'clock came around, and it was time to take Valerie home. Her mom told me a few days later that she had fun, which is good. But I can't help thinking to myself, "There's nothing like watching someone else's kid to make me appreciate my own."
Last week, I helped out a friend by watching her daughter. It worked out well because this little girl goes to Makayla's preschool class.
I picked up Makayla and Valerie after preschool and brought them back to my house. The girls had lunch, watched part of a movie, played dress up and tea party, and then I took Valerie home.
It doesn't sound like it was a difficult 90 minutes, but boy howdy! This little Valerie is the most inquisitive 4-year-old I think I've ever met. She put the 2-year-old "Why" questions to shame.
She asked me questions like, Why do your plates have apples on them?
What are germs?
How come Ellie is a girl?
Why do so many people live in your house?
Why do you keep your washing machine outside?
Why does Makayla want to watch this movie?
How come you don't have any boys at your house?
Why does Makayla's daddy work?
Why don't you go to work?
I was so exhausted by question after question. I suggested that she go play with Makayla. So, she did.
But 5 minutes later, she was at my side asking me why I was doing what I was doing.
I was really glad when 1 o'clock came around, and it was time to take Valerie home. Her mom told me a few days later that she had fun, which is good. But I can't help thinking to myself, "There's nothing like watching someone else's kid to make me appreciate my own."
(enjoying a small break from all the questions)
2 comments:
That is sooooooooooooo true! Working in Young Women will do the same with teen daughters. :)
That's true, but we need the reminder so helping someone out with their kids is a good thing. I get to babysit a kid that is really close to Collin in age on friday. We have done one other time and it went really well, but we will see how it goes for a longer time.
Post a Comment