Tuesday, December 9, 2008

5 Ways to Avoid Turning Up My Heater

I hate turning on the heater every winter. It's not because I enjoy being cold. It's because I hate opening the electric bill and seeing triple digits. It's almost physically painful for me to pay that bill every winter. So, when it comes to turning up the thermostat, I'm extremely stingy. It has to be really, and I mean really, cold outside first.

However, I realize that my family isn't as willing to stand the cold as I am. So I've come up with a few things that help keep our apartment marginally comfortable in the early parts of winter.

1. One of us showers at night, the other in the morning. Our water bill varies very little, so I don't mind taking an extra long, extra hot shower. Open the bathroom door, let the steamy bathroom heat up the apartment twice a day.

2. Dress warm. Long-sleeve shirts or sweaters and warm, fuzzy socks. We have the clothes. We might as well make good use of them.

3. Bake every day. We have to eat. Why not make every meal a meal that's cooked in the oven instead of on the stove top? Sure it may take a little bit longer. But when dinner is done cooking, I turn off the oven and leave the door open. I figure I've already paid to heat up the oven. Why not disperse it through the apartment. I just have to make sure to keep an extra close eye on the girls so they don't get burned.

*An extra bonus: if I do cook something on the stove top or in the crock pot, I usually try to bake a goody. Apartment gets heated and my family gets a yummy treat. It's a win-win situation.

4. Blankets over the windows. I only do this in the bedrooms. It encourages the girls to sleep in a little bit longer every morning and helps insulate their room from crappy windows that leak cold air inside.

5. If the girls tell me they are cold during the day, I first make sure they are wearing socks and a warm shirt. If they are still cold, I encourage them to make a fort out of their fleecy blankets. Either that or we all curl up under the covers on my bed and watch a movie together.

I realize that when the baby comes, I'll have to turn the heaters on. But until then, I'm going to save every penny that I can.

2 comments:

Janelle said...

I do so many of those same things that is funny! Unfortuneately now our heater isn't working right so those things are more needed than ever but I am glad to know someone is as stingy as me!

Paige said...

I would have to say you and I are different in this area. While I hate the high bill in the winter I hate being cold even more. Especially Jaxon who is crawling and walking around on the cold tile floor. His poor little feet are always cold and I can't for the life of me keep any socks on them.