I have been looking forward to today for a whole week now. Last week I scheduled an hour-long massage for myself. I've only had one before, and it was amazing!
So I found a babysitter for my girls and headed down town. I told the lady that my shoulder has really been bothering me so to please focus her attention there.
It was absolute torture!! I didn't realize how much my shoulder had really been bothering me until she started working on it. Oh! The Pain!! I knew she'd have to work to get the knots out, but I think I was sort of hoping for relaxing, fall asleep kind of massaging. That's definitely not what I got. This was a detoxifying, deep tissue massage.
It's now been a couple of hours since the massage; I can tell that my muscles aren't so tense, which is good, but I hurt so bad! It hurts to pick up Ellie. It hurts to turn my head. It hurts to be typing this. It even hurts to have the weight of my shirt against my skin.
I'm sure I'll feel better tomorrow when every muscle in my neck, back, and shoulders is not screaming at me in protest. And maybe I'll schedule another massage. Not the kind I had today, though. I think next time I'll go for what my massage therapist sister calls a fluff massage: the kind that does no real good, but just makes you feel good all over.
4 comments:
Oh I am sorry, Jason got an amazing massage chair a few years ago for Christmas and I sat in it for at least an hour (you are only supposed to for 15min) the next day I could barely walk my back hurt so badly but it is the good kind of pain that you know is going to make everything better eventually!
A massage is, no doubt, one of life's greatest pleasures. It's a shame your expectations weren't met.
THIS IS SOOOO FUNNY! ----->"It even hurts to have the weight of my shirt against my skin."
I started laughing so hard my husband felt the need to join in, even though he hadn't read your blog. You know... to be part of the "cool" crowd.
I have never had a massage, but I hear they are usually wonderful. I think it is kind of like going to the chiropractor. THe first time you go you are sore and hurt, but then the next visit you feel so much better so I would definately try for another one soon.
Here's the secret to getting a good theraputic massage without the pain. If your Masseuse is using too much pressure, you need to tell her. She will lighten her touch until you can handle more pressure. Then be sure to tell her she can use more pressure or you will just get "fluff". You need to try it again.
Post a Comment