Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Life Lesson #358

Never laugh at other people's misfortunes because eventually those misfortunes become your own.

Three examples from my life to support this:

1. When I was a sophomore in high school, I became friends with this boy that I sat next to in Chemistry. One day he wasn't in class. I found out it was because he was in the hospital for an appendectomy. I went to visit him the next afternoon when I got out of school. He was walking around the hall when I saw him. I totally made fun of the way he was walking--hunched over, clinging to his IV pole, feet shuffling slowly along the cold hospital floor. Big mistake. Why? I ended up in the hospital the next week with appendicitis and had to have an appendectomy myself. And I walked just like he had that day I saw him.

2. Not too long ago, a friend posted on her blog about her little girl learning to climb out of her crib. I laughed and laughed and thought to myself, "Poor girl! That must suck!" A few days ago I laid down to take a nap while Ellie was sleeping. A little while later, I was awakened by Ellie slapping me in the face and giggling. I asked Makayla if she had helped Ellie out of her crib. Makayla said, "Nope. I just watched her climb out." Great! That's loads of fun for me now.

3. Also not too long ago, I wrote about Makayla's friend who asked a million questions that drove me crazy. I was so glad that Makayla wasn't like that. But it seems like the day she turned 4 the questions started, and they haven't stopped since. I think I'm going to lose my mind. Ugh! The questions!!

Some people call this karma, but I call it God trying to humble me. So far, it's working!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Hmmm. I had no idea you had an appendectomy in HS!!