I have a geeky secret to share.
I subscribe to a dictionary word of the day. Every day I look forward to learning a new word. The chances of me using these new words in my vocabulary are rare, but still, I feel smarter for having read a new word.
Once in a while, I come across a new word that just complete dumbfounds me. Like today for example: vexillology. My inner geek got all excited when I saw this word. I was thinking "Wow! This is going to be a good one."
Turns out that vexillology is the study of flags. Seriously? Are there actual people who do this?
My curiosity got the better of me, so I googled it. As it turns out, there are actual organizations dedicated to the study of flags. Don't believe me? Look here or here. Or if you want to know who the actual people are (which apparently, I did) check out Wikipedia.
Okay, I feel a little vulnerable right now for sharing this deep dark secret. Try not to make too much fun of me. How about a redeeming picture update post later today?
3 comments:
Lizzie was reading over my shoulder and said, "Vexillology is the study of flags." I guess she knew. I had no clue, but then, I have no clue about a lot of things! :) Sometimes I like it better that way. I'm a Scarlet O'Hara at heart! Hey! Send me the link to where I can get a word of the day!
Sam's got a friend at work who subscribes to Urban dictionary word of the day (I think it is...) and they send him some sort of new slang word every day. Sometimes they're pretty hilarious, and sometimes they're not all that clean. That was the disclaimer. So don't worry... if you were the only one who did this, there wouldn't be a market for it!
Oh, PS: I scrolled to the top and I don't see any new pictures. What's up??
There is nothing wrong with continually learning. Even if it does make you seem geeky:)
Post a Comment