Monday, July 21, 2008

The Host

I finally finished this book. I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. Somewhere in the middle, I think. I didn't hate it, but I certainly didn't love it.

I agonized over the first 250 pages before I really started getting interested. Normally, at that point I would have just given up on the book. But I persevered because it's Stephenie Meyer. And I own the book, so I might as well just read the whole thing.

Then there were 250 pages where I absolutely could not put the book down. It was so good and I stayed up way too late and neglected my children way too much.

Then the ending was a complete let-down for me, which is weird because I can't really think of a way that I would have preferred it to end. Maybe it was a let-down because I'd heard so many people say It's a total tear jerker at the end, and Make sure to have a box of tissues close by. I must be completely hard-hearted because I didn't really see anything to cry about.

Hmm. . . I have a feeling this review is not making me any friends. Maybe I'll just stick to vampires from now on. I always have something good to say about them.

5 comments:

Charity Smith said...

This was the only Meyer book at the library so I decided to check it out but it could only be checked out for 7 days so I wanted to get into it but I didn't cause I knew something would come up and I wouldn't be able to finsh it but I only made it like 20 pages and decided I would wait for the other books It was a little weird for me! I decided maybe if I could become a Meyer fan I would be able to read it later so I guess we will seee later.

Unknown said...

I totally loved it :) But it took me the second time through to love it :) All that I have read said that she is leaving it open for another book or series. Do you know that April Rupert Pike, remember from the Branch? She KNOWS Stephenie Meyer and asked me if I wanted an autographed copy of Twilight! WOWY WOW WOW!
Are you ready for Breaking Dawn, just a week left! So to pass the time I am going through the first 3 again!

Heber and his "Deli" aka: Adele said...

I am having a hard time getting into this book. I went right out and bought it and so, just like you, am forcing myself through it. I actually put it aside to do a quick marothon of the Twilight series once more before August 2. It has been over a year since I read them.

Jodi said...

I went to the library to get on the "hold list" for twilight and I was 48th in line!!! See why I still haven't read it??
We watched a way cute movie "Penelope" last night and it had a Twilight trailer and behind the scenes in the extras.
Miss you!

Harris said...

You crack me up, thanks for your last comment! How are you feeling by the way? Do you have any particular cravings lately? Your little girls are so cute, I love reading your blog...I always end up reading it out loud to Devin because I can't stop laughing.