Saturday, November 15, 2008

Life After College

Six years ago, Kasey and I were newly married and both going to school. We would often talk about our future together over a steaming bowl of Easy Mac or Ramen noodles.

Our wants were simple--a house with a garage, 3 or 4 kids, a job for Kasey that provided for our family while allowing me to stay home. We never planned on being rich, but we hoped to live comfortably.

During one discussion about money, I asked Kasey to tell me what his idea of comfortable was. He thought it would mean being able to go out to dinner when we want and buying a movie on a whim without having to budget specifically for that item. My idea of comfortable was being able to order food from the Schwan's man.

The reason I got thinking about this today is I recently signed up for the Schwan's man's route, and today was his first visit.

We don't have everything that we hoped for yet (houses are expensive!), but I feel like we are slowly climbing our way out of the poorness of student life and are well on our way to comfortable. And that's a pretty good feeling!

2 comments:

Jodi said...

Ohhh the Schwann Man! I blame him for all of my weight problems growing up!!! Such good stuff...

Natalie said...

I seem to evaluate our financial progress weekly and agree that progress feels great! My favorite memory is looking back and smiling over our "play" budget our first year of marriage. I set $5 each, each week then quickly realized that as a whooping $40. I quickly changed it to $2.50 a week. LOL good times. No... Great times