A friend of mine had her 5th child last year. When little Syd was born, I offered to bring my friend a meal, but she said that she had everything covered. I was a little skeptical, and thought she just didn't want to put anyone out. (She's kind of like that.)
But apparently, she had spent the weeks leading up to her baby's birth preparing extra meals and freezing them. Then all she had to do was pull something out and pop it in the oven. Genius!
One afternoon in December, she and I got together to brainstorm some meals that I could prepare in advance. It's a little bit tricky for me as I only have the small freezer on top of my fridge. I don't have the luxury of a big deep freezer like she has.
Over the past week or so, I've been getting some meals ready so that when the new baby comes, I'll still be able to get a somewhat decent dinner on the table when Kasey gets home from work. Hopefully I'll have enough prep work done to last me until I've figured out how to juggle three children.
This is what I have so far:
1 pan beef & bean enchiladas
1 bag hamburger soup
sauce for Shepherd's pie (I wasn't sure how instant potatoes would freeze, but I figure I can toss some of those together pretty quickly when I need them.)
1 pan funeral potatoes
1 pan lasagna
Homemade meatballs--enough for 3 meals
Cooked, diced chicken for 2 meals
browned hamburger for 2 meals
Tomorrow I'm going to make a batch of homemade chili and freeze half. Then I'll dice some ham to be used in casseroles or soups.
In addition to those, I'll also have some old standbys on hand:
biscuits and gravy
cold cereal
egg rolls
hot pockets
Domino's
You know, for those days when I can barely manage to get myself and 3 little girls dressed, let alone cook a meal.
It sure feels good to be prepared!
6 comments:
instant potatoes freeze just fine. example: tv dinners
Good idea!! This really will save you lots of headach figuring what to feed your family!
That's what I did before having Kierra and it worked great!! By the way, quit stressing yourself out girl!!! Three kids are not as overwhelming as you think, you'll be just fine!
Good idea! I did lots of crock pot meals. It only takes a minute to throw everything in and all of the work is in the morning. It always seems like evenings are more stressful!
I think it sounds like you are READY! Good luck... can't wait until the cute little baby girl comes!
Wow, I just let the Relief Society feed us. Oh, and my Mom, or Tyler's Mom....it's nice to be fairly close to home. Well, sounds like all you need now is a baby!!
Post a Comment