When I was in 7th grade, a girl wrote this in my yearbook, "Have a great summer! Don't hit any parked cars." At the time, I thought that was the dumbest thing to put in some one's yearbook. But as it turns out, that's actually some pretty sound advice.
Today, I had a little disagreement with a parked car. Apparently I won because all the damage was to the other car. I've never been in an accident before. I would not list it on my Top 10 Best Things To Do In Your Car.
Before you go thinking that I'm a completely incompetent driver, let me describe the circumstances around said disagreement. I was taking Makayla to preschool this morning. I knew the roads were slick so I even left a few minutes early to allow for safe and slow driving. I got to the school and to my utter astonishment, there was a parking space right next to the entrance.
You know, when it's -12 degrees outside, a close parking spot means a lot. So I slowly turned into the parking lot. Then I slowly started turning into that blessed parking spot that had Heavenly beams shining down upon it. And then Satan came out of nowhere and said, "Let there be ice!!" And there was ice.
Let me tell you, ice and completely bald tires are never, ever a good combination. So I watched, in slow motion, as my car rammed into this beautiful, black sports car. It was actually painful watching that happen.
Makayla, bless her little heart, said, Mom! What did you do?
I just bumped that car a little bit.
She scrunched up her nose and said, That's not real good.
I took Makayla to her class and just as I was getting into my car, the owner of that beautiful, now-damaged sports car was getting to hers. We exchanged information, and I then spent the remainder of my morning dealing with police reports and claims adjusters and all sorts of unpleasantness. (Unpleasantness: the events following a fender bender. It's a new word that I made up to describe my morning.)
The good news is that no one was hurt and I have freakin' awesome insurance. I don't have to pay a dime. (unless my premium goes up. Ouch!) I decided to take the money that I'd "saved" and purchase some new tires.
I went to the tire store and chose some all-season-something-or-other tires. When I got done paying for those, I had 3 pennies to my name. No really, I only had 3 pennies in my wallet. I figured since I couldn't buy anything with 3 pennies, I should just give them to Makayla. I don't remember the last time I saw that girl so happy. And that's saying a lot because she's usually pretty stinkin' happy.
So, that would be what I did today. Hopefully tomorrow proves to be a less expensive day!
8 comments:
uh, no! I feel for you! I'm glad that nobody was hurt though. = (
Ok, that would suck! I'm sorry.
Oh and the previous story about another baby....are you saying something???
That sucks and it will suck even more the next time you have to get insurance we are finally getting to the stage where Chris and my various accidents are falling off and it is so nice for our insurance to be going down. But silver lining your car is okay and you and your babies are okay!
PS Kyler says HI!
I've been in a fender bender before my falt, NOT SO FUN! Glad your all ok!
Hmmm....I would say you are doing pretty good to have made it this far in your life with no "disagreements" until now. I have been involved in several. The one that was my fault unfortunatley cannot be blamed on ice.
slick roads and ice oh the joys of winter. I can't even get out of my driveway right now, we got so much snow last night and it is still snowing.
accidents are no fun, greatful it wasn't at high speeds, hopefully your new tires with be worth only haveing 3 pennies left to your name.
I am so sorry. Car problems are the worst.
Post a Comment