I did the coolest thing today. I helped out at the soup kitchen. I've never done anything like that before, but it was seriously so cool. I went over around 9:30 this morning with 2 other ladies. This little 80-year-old woman, Francis, runs the place, and she wasted no time in putting us to work.
We sorted through the food and threw out the stuff that was spoiled. We cut fruit to make a salad, mixed up some clam chowder, and got sandwiches ready. Then the local grocery stores dropped off boxes and boxes of food. We looked through the 8 fridges and 2 deep freezers to find places for all the new food and rotate out the older food.
Around noon people started coming in from the cold to enjoy a hot bowl of soup and a sandwich. They were all so grateful, and I felt so good being able to help them. I even chatted and joked with a few people. These are people that under normal circumstances, I wouldn't have ever stopped to talk to.
After people were done eating they stuffed their pockets with extra sandwiches or filled a bag with a cake or pastry and zipped up their coats to bear the cold. And if, by chance, they didn't have enough clothes to brave the blizzarding conditions outside, they walked to the other side of the room where there were tables and racks full of donated clothes and blankets. Everything was free.
As people were filing out, we wished them a nice day. Then we spent about 30 mintues cleaning up: washing dishes, wiping down tables and counters, putting away the remaining food.
I feel so good knowing that I did something good for someone else. Something that took so little on my part, meant so much to those people. I could see in their faces how grateful they were. It's easy to be in the Spirit of Giving around Christmas time, but I realized today that it's an attitude we should have all the time. I can't wait until I can help at the soup kitchen again!
5 comments:
Good for you! I'm proud of you!!!!
that is neat! I've always wanted to do that. I just never have, yet!!
Sounds like it was a very good experience. How did you come about volunteering there? I think it would be a great experience to such a service. What did you do with Ellie?
We went tubing up Sardine Canyon-my husband's uncle owns some land there. Tons of fun. Maybe we could work out a weekend for you guys to come join us. Let me know it would be a blast. I want to go again since Brenden really wasn't able to enjoy himself,and I did have to leave early because of it.
Good for you, Laura. I'm proud of you.
Mom
What a good girl.....I can just see you doing it with a big smile.
I used to do this in NY on the weekends once in a while. I loved doing it as well. It was amazing for me to realize how blessed I was and to learn a lesson of humility from some of these great people.
Post a Comment