Friday, February 22, 2008

The Easiest Macaroon Recipe Ever

I love to cook and bake. So when I come across a really easy and yummy recipe, I simply have to share it. This morning I was looking through my newest issue of Simple and Delicious and found a recipe for macaroons. I love macaroons but have never actually made them myself. This recipe, with only 3 ingredients, seemed too easy to mess up.

To make these oh-so-yummy macaroons you will need sweetened flaked coconut, sweetened condensed milk, and flour. How simple is that?!

Measure out 5 cups of coconut.

Then add 1/2 cup all purpose flour.

Last comes one 14 ounce can of sweetened condensed milk.

Mix it all together.

Drop by rounded tablespoons onto a greased cookie sheet.

Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes, or until the edges turn golden brown. It took 9 minutes for mine to look like this.

Remove to wire rack to cool.

I decided that I wanted chocolate on mine. You can't have macaroons without chocolate! Well, okay you can, but they aren't nearly as good. Since I don't have a double boiler, I went with what I had. I filled a saucepan about 1/2 way with water and put a metal mixing bowl on top. Heat the water until almost, but not quite, boiling. I'm not sure why, but that's what my mom told me, and I listen to my mother. I dumped in about 4 ounces of milk chocolate chips and 1 teaspoon of vegetable shortening.

Stir it until it's smooth and glossy like this. Since I'm not sharing this particular batch of cookies, I took the liberty of dipping my finger into the choclate. Mmmm!!

Then I drizzled the chocolate over the cookies as they were cooling. I would have prefered to dip the bottoms in chocolate and then drizzle, but I didn't have enough chocolate chips for that. Maybe next time.

Last time I tried to drizzle glaze on some cookies, I made a huge mess. So this time I wised up and put a cookie sheet under the rack to catch all the drips. Of course I didn't use a clean cookie sheet. I just used the pan that I baked the cookies on. I try not to dirty any more dishes than absolutely necessary. I don't have a dishwasher like I used to. *sigh*
The directions say to cool completely before eating. But I was far too impatient for that and ate them right away. Don't forget the milk. You're gonna need it!

5 comments:

Jill said...

They do look good and your pictues are great!

Charity Smith said...

Yum I'm going to have to try these!! I wish my mother in law could give good instructions like that I always mess her recipes up at least once or I'm on the phone with her 10 times before I'm done! I think she does it on purpose!

Amanda said...

Of course I don't mind the comment :). It IS a small world! Where in Green River do you live? We lived in a very ghetto rental house in Green River for a couple of months this summer while our house was being built. Are you from Green River? We have only been here about 8 months, but we LOVE it!

Kami said...

Wow! Those look really yummy, especially with the chocolate!

Harris said...

Those do look so so good! Thanks for sharing...and SO SIMPLE!! EVEN BETTER!! What a good idea to share recipes!! I love checking your blog! It is so informational!