I've noticed that several others have paid tribute to this great man on their blogs this week. Now I would like to do the same.Gordon B. Hinckley, President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and Prophet of God, passed away earlier this week. I watched his funeral this morning with tears of sadness, of laughter, and of joy.
Sadness for my own loss. I never met him, but I always felt like I knew him. I am sad that I will never again hear him speak from the pulpit at General Conference or the First Presidency Christmas Devotional or any number of meetings. His quick wit and genuine love for people are two things that I have always loved about him.
Laughter because of the stories and remembrances shared during the celebration of his life.
And joy because I know that he must be so happy to be reunited with his dear wife again. I know he missed her. You could see it in his eyes and hear it in his voice when he spoke of her following her death in 2004.
I love that President Monson called him a "giant among men." It was so fitting of him.
I think my sister summed it up best when she said, "the best tribute we can give is to actually strive to follow the words that he spoke and lived."
Good-bye President Hinckley. You will be missed.
2 comments:
I watched a program tonight on the BYU channel of an interview with Sheri Dew. She was giving her experiences and impressions of President Hinkley. It was very good. We will all miss him.
It is so true! The best tribute we can give is to live his teachings! I have heard that before, "The only thing we have to give to Christ is our will," but I never thought of it for Pres. Hinckley! Thanks for posting this on your blog...also thanks to your sister for her insight!!
Post a Comment