I would have given my right arm (or maybe my left, since I'm right-handed) to know what Makayla was trying to say to me when she was a baby. I pulled my hair out in sleepy frustration trying to figure out what the heck she wanted. Oh, the incessant crying!! It's a shock that I had the courage to try again with another baby.
You think I'm exaggerating. Just ask anyone who knew her as a baby. Seriously!
But this post is not about Makayla. It's about Ellie, my insanely smart, super-communicating 14 month old. She was seriously the BEST baby. She hardly ever cried. She cried so little that I thought something might be wrong with her, until my mom and mother-in-law convinced me that this is how most babies act. She slept through the night at 6 weeks. Heaven!
Now she is moving out of the baby phase and moving into the toddler phase. She is such a great communicator. I'm sure part of this is because this is my second time around on the mom thing. And part of it is because she has an older sibling to learn from. Whatever the reason, I am loving that I can understand what she wants.
Her sign language is coming along, and she can speak in 2-4 word sentences. My favorite new acheivement of hers is telling me when she wants her diaper changed.
Yesterday morning she toddled up to me, grabbed my finger and said Mama, dad-pah (diaper). Then she pulled me over to the diaper changing spot, layed down on the floor and started to fiddle with her zipper.
I was pretty amazed. I thought that it was, perhaps, a fluke. Then it happened in the afternoon and again this morning.
As crazy as this idea may seem, I'm thinking about pushing the potty training. I have her potty chair sitting out already. She loves to sit on it right before bathtime. And sometimes when we are in the bathroom getting ready, she points to the toilet and says I go.
Now I am fantasizing about having Ellie potty trained at 18 months. Wouldn't that be the coolest? It sure would beat potty-training a stubborn 3-year-old.
8 comments:
GO FOR IT!!! Seriously... I know that my 2nd one learned so much quicker than the 1st... I am hoping to have Holli potty trained around the 18 month mark. Best of Luck...
GO FOR IT!!! Seriously... I know that my 2nd one learned so much quicker than the 1st... I am hoping to have Holli potty trained around the 18 month mark. Best of Luck...
It sounds wonderful to me if it would work. I wish my kids were good talkers. I have the most stubburn kids! And a baby sleeping through the night at 6 weeks is crazy. It has always taken mine a year or more.
Isn't it crazy how different babies can be. My Brenden was like Ellie and Collin-oh boy. But it is definately so much fun to watch them learn and develop new talents. Good luck with the potty training. I say go for it. I wish I would have done it when Brenden was actually telling me he had to go, then I had Collin who required sooo much attention and time.
I would absolutely do it! Heber thinks that the potty is his book reading chair. Good luck Ellie!
If you think she's ready, go for it!
Great new music!!! I LOVE the Carpenters!
Wow! My little Paden has about one thing that he says..."What's that?" He says it when he's trying to get out of trouble, when he wants something, when he just wants someone to talk to him, and when he's going to sleep or waking up. He's 14 mo. too. It starts driving me crazy. He says a few other things, but not much.
So, you love Twilight too? That's great! They are such fun books. Do you like other YA novels? I just finished a trilogy that was a lot of fun. The first one is "Uglies." Have you read them? If not, I recommend them. The other two are "Pretties" and "Specials."
Post a Comment