Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Conversation with a 3-year-old

This morning as I was getting breakfast for my girls, I had this conversation with Makayla.

me: Makayla, let's hurry and get ready so we can go see grandma and grandpa. Do you want to see them?

her: Oh, yeah! I want to see my grandma. But my grandpa's in Texas.

me: No, he came back from Texas. Now he's with grandma.

her: Well, I can just go see my grandma and my grandpa.

me: okay. Well, let's clean up the house and pack our bags. Then when daddy gets home we can go.

her: To see my grandpa? But he just lives in Texas.

me: No, he doesn't live in Texas. He was just visiting Texas. He lives in Idaho with grandma.

her: He lives in Idaho? with grandma? (pause) Oh, yeah. They do. How 'bout we go to Idaho.

me: Okay. Sounds good.

her: I want to go see great-grandma. And I want to play with my great-grandpa.

me: Does your great-grandpa play with you?

her: Yep! We go outside and do this. (she mimics picking up leaves and putting them in a bag.)

me: Okay we can see them too. Do you know they live in Idaho, too? The same town as grandma and grandpa.

her: They do? (astonished look on her face) That's pretty cool!

me: Yeah, that is pretty cool.

her: May I wear my dress to see grandma?

me: Yes you may. Grandma will say, "Oh Makayla! You look beautiful in your dress!"

her: No she don't! She says I look "wonderful."

me: Grandma says that to you?

her: No. Just great-grandma says "wonderful."

me: (laughing a lot but not saying anything)

her: Oh no! Spiders live downstairs. They go "kickle, kickle, kickle." (pretends her fingers are the legs of a spider and crawls across the table.)


So, I sat down to type this out and Makayla came running into my room with a clementine in her hand.

her: Mom. Can you open this peach?

me: sure.

her: I run in here real fast!

me: You did?

her: Yeah! I run like a antelope! I went run, run, run, run. (pretending to run. not moving her feet, just pumping her arms like she's running) Real fast like a antelope.

me: (stifling a laugh) Is that how an antelope runs?

her: Yeah. It goes real fast. Daddy hit a antelope with our big car. But he's okay. He goes run, run, run to his mommy. And he's okay now.

me: That's right. (handing her the pealed clementine)

her: Thanks

Then she walked away.

I love having a 3-year-old. Most of the time. I love moments like these: the completely honest thoughts of my 3-year-old spilling out of her mouth for me to cherish and enjoy. She really cracks me up sometimes.

3 comments:

Paige said...

I also love 3 year old conversations. Kids say the funniest things.

Jodi said...

Uggg...3 year old conversations...mostly one sided with a lot of "why's"...
Kasey hit an antelope???

Laura said...

Kasey hit an antelope in July, but Makayla still remembers it.