Today I found out that my favorite teacher of all time, Judy Pedersen, passed away. So, as my little tribute to her, I'm going to tell you some of my favorite memories of her.
I remember the first day of Honors English. I was a sophomore. She was a legend. My three older sisters had been taught by her and told me all about the essays and books she assigned. I'd watched them for 5 years. They were constantly reading something or writing something for her class. Needless to say, I was intimidated. I remember where I sat in that first class: middle row, front seat. I wanted to glean everything I could from this woman about whom I'd heard so much. And I was not dissappointed. I was in complete awe of this wonder woman.
I absolutely loved her classes. Even though they were difficult--more difficult than anything I encountered in my 3 years of college--I loved them. Writing essays was not my favorite, and I didn't finish every book that was assigned to me. But I learned so much from her. Not just about what was written in books, but about life.
And who could forget "Quotable Quotes"? I slaved over those memorizations. I took that book everywhere with me. It became apart of me my Senior year. After high school when I had thrown everything else away, I clung to my QQ book. Even now, when I am going through boxes after yet another move and I come across my maroon and spiraled Quotable Quotes notebook, I close my eyes and try to remember. Remember the quotes. Remember reciting them. Remember writing them down so quickly and furiously on a test that I thought for sure my hand would have permanent damage. Remember that glint of pride in her eye when I did well. Yes, I remember well.
I've been out of high school for nearly 6 years now. But sometimes I still go home for the county fair or to see my parents. Occasionally I would run into Mrs. Pedersen in the store or at the fair. She was always so genuinely interested in how my life had turned out. I think that's what made her so special to me and to her other students: she truly cared.
I haven't seen her since September 2006, so it's not like I see her on a regular basis at all. But I will miss knowing that I will never again run into her at the grocery store. I will never again hear a lecture from her on Shakespeare, Chaucer, Wilder, or Wordsworth. I will never again choose to spend my lunch time in her classroom just so I could spend a little more time in the presence of this amazing person. I am saddened by this. But I take comfort in the knowledge that I once knew a great woman by the name of Judy Pedersen. And I will remember her and her impact on me for the rest of my life.
I will miss you, Mrs. Pedersen!
3 comments:
I'm so sad to hear about Mrs. Pedersen. I got an email from a friend that she had been taken to the hospital a day or two ago.
I loved Mrs. Pedersen too. She really had such a gift for teaching and loving. I still have the lists of books she assigned to everyone. They are still my favorite suggested reading!
I can't imagine all the people she touched and taught through her life. I hope her family is okay.
Brooke,
Are you going to the funeral? It's Monday at noon at the Tabernacle in Montpelier.
I can't seem to find my list of suggested reading from her. Would you share yours with me? Your sister has my email address if you are willing to share. I'm always looking for new things to read.
I can't believe what an impact her passing has had on me. like you said i haven't seen her recently but the just the fact that i won't ever run into her again haunts me. it's like she was superhuman somehow and the fact that she died at such an early age has really thrown me for a loop. she will never know the impact she has had on so many people--maybe for just a short time,because i know they will need her in heaven, but maybe they will let her look in on just how much we are all missing her influence in our lives, no matter how far away from her we were.
Post a Comment