I've read several posts recently--like this one and this one and this one. Oh and this one, too--that really have me reflecting on the good and not so good things of parenthood. So, here are my lists.
Not So Good
1. Being puked and pooped on. Although I have to say that the puking has slowed down considerably. And come to think of it, I haven't been pooped on in a while either.
2. My house is in constant disarray. It's so aggravating! I am learning to deal with it. What else can I do? I can't spend my whole day cleaning.
3. The doctor bills seem to be never-ending what with well-checks and colds and ER visits in the middle of the night.
4. Disciplining. I realize that it's necessary and important, but it's one of my least favorite things to do. It's right up there with
5. Bath time. I hate giving baths. Obviously I do it because children need to be cleaned, but I hate, hate, hate bath time. I hate it so much that I don't allow toys in the tub as they prolong the dreaded event. They're in, they're out, they're done. That's how we do it at my house.
Good, Sometimes Great
1. Being completely crazy. One of the best parts of my day is when we crank up the music and dance around like crazy people. I love that part of my job description is making my children laugh. It allows me to show a side of myself that I rarely, if ever, show to anyone but my girls.
2. Teaching my children and watching the light bulb go on when they've finally got the concept.
3. Once the girls are finally asleep at night, I love to sneak back in their room and watch them sleep. It's so peaceful just watching them. It's the perfect end to my day. Watching them and listening to them breathe quietly reminds me how much I love them. It seems to erase all the things they did during the day that frustrated me.
4. Being a stay-at-home mom. I'm so lucky that I'm the one who gets to see all the "firsts" and every cute thing the girls do and say every day.
5. Seeing my husband turn into daddy when he's around our children. If you've seen this with your own husband and children, you know exactly what I'm talking about. You also know that this is not just a good part of motherhood, but a great part.
6. Receiving hugs and/or kisses from my children is just. . . I don't know. It's amazing! I definitely feel like a mother when their little arms wrap tightly around my neck.
7. Three little words: I love you. They are the best. There is something about hearing my child say those words to me that cements forever in my mind the fact that I am a mother. It's amazing how three small words can erase all that's bad in this world and right every wrong. For me, it's the greatest part of being a parent.
Now I'm curious. What are some of your best and worst things about being a parent?
2 comments:
Love your "good time" comments, especially the going to look in on them while they are sleeping. I do that all the time, it just gives me a chance to really look at them and realize what a blessing they truely are. I don't think my husband has really understood why I always do that at night.
Hey you thanks for the comment. Your girls are beautiful. You look great as well. I love this post. I honestly can't remember my life without them. I don't think I had any idea who I was or what I wanted to be, before them. Crazy huh?
Post a Comment